Upcoming Events

10:00 am Inner West Area Day @ St Thomas' Anglican Church Enfield
Inner West Area Day @ St Thomas' Anglican Church Enfield
Aug 1 @ 10:00 am – 12:30 pm
The Inner West Area Day will be held at St Thomas’ Enfield on Wednesday 1 August 2018. Everyone is welcome. MU members are encouraged to invite their friends.
10:00 am Council Meeting 2018 @ St Andrew's Cathedral Chapter House
Council Meeting 2018 @ St Andrew's Cathedral Chapter House
Aug 31 @ 10:00 am – 12:30 pm
Tea, coffee and biscuits will be available from 9:30am in the Chapter House. MU Sydney Executive members will report on activities of MU Sydney during the year. All MU members are welcome to attend.
10:00 am Upper North Shore/Ryde Area Day @ St Mark's Anglican Church
Upper North Shore/Ryde Area Day @ St Mark's Anglican Church
Sep 11 @ 10:00 am
The Upper North Shore/Ryde Area Day will be held at St Mark’s Anglican Church, Pennant Hills on Tuesday 11 September 2018. Everyone is welcome. MU members are encouraged to invite their friends.
10:00 am Liverpool Area Day @ St Mark's Anglican Church
Liverpool Area Day @ St Mark's Anglican Church
Sep 18 @ 10:00 am – 12:30 pm
The Liverpool Area Day will be held at St Mark’s Anglican Church Sadleir on Tuesday 18 September 2018 Everyone is welcome. MU members are encouraged to invite their friends.
11:30 am Warringah Area Day @ St John's Dee Why
Warringah Area Day @ St John's Dee Why
Sep 19 @ 11:30 am
Warringah Area Day will be hosted by MU Dee Why Branch. Everyone is welcome. MU members are encouraged to invite their friends.
10:30 am Advent Service @ St Philip's
Advent Service @ St Philip's
Nov 23 @ 10:30 am – 11:45 am
You are invited to join us at this service. It will be a modified version of the 1662 Communion Service led by The Reverend Janis Donohoo. St Philip’s Church Hill is at 3 York Street[...]
7:30 am Market Day Stall @ Town Hall Square
Market Day Stall @ Town Hall Square
Dec 7 @ 7:30 am – 2:30 pm
MU Sydney will be holding a Market Day Stall on Friday 7 December 2018 in Town Hall Arcade. Donations of hand made items to sell on the stall would be very much appreciated. Funds raised[...]

Joyce Hayman OAM

Joyce Arabella HaymanJoyce Arabella Hayman OAM (nee Snodgrass)

Died 5/4/2018 aged 95 years
Eulogy given at Thanksgiving Service 11/4/2018 by her daughter Rosemary Girvan.

As was her nature, Mum left us extremely detailed instructions for her funeral service and a great deal of information about her life. If I were to give each of her 95 years one minute, it would take over 1 ½ hours, so I have chosen highlights and my personal memories! I know Mum would have loved to read it.

Joyce Snodgrass, our Mum, was the second daughter of Ralph and Ivy, born on 12 January 1923 into a world of change. King George V was on the throne and Ralph had returned from fighting for King and Country on the fields of Flanders. The family grew to be Betty, Joyce, Ralph and Jean and lived in Lakemba.

Her childhood years to her early 20s were very much a preparation for the life that God had planned for her for the next 70 plus years. Not the least was the Great Depression, from when she was 6 for several years, a time of great suffering for so many. She talked about how her father’s business closed down and about him selling potatoes and onions from his horse and cart but they never went hungry. This was a preparation to learn to live simply and to make everything stretch, as was needed later. This ability may also have had something to do with the Scottish heritage of the Snodgrass clan, and resilience and perseverance from her forebears such as Robert the Bruce.

Highlights of her childhood included attending Belmore South Primary and Canterbury Girl’s High Schools. The Snodgrass children visited their beloved grandparents Granny and Grandad Fancett after school each day. They watched the two halves of the Harbour Bridge slowly come together and at 9 years Joyce walked across the bridge on it’s opening day.

At 14 Joyce left school to care for her mother who had a brain tumour and died at 42. It has always saddened me not only that her mother died so young, but also that Mum had to leave school so young, as she had great intellectual ability. She did however, later in life, complete many courses, both theological and various community services.

Joyce at 15 became an apprentice dressmaker at Brierlegs in York St, city, another useful skill. She became a Christian, giving her life to Jesus at 17 at a tent mission at Wollongong and went on to encourage others in their faith for almost 8 decades. About this time her father became married to Millie, Joyce’s step mother.

From 1942 to 1946 Joyce trained as a nurse at St George Hospital, adding to her skills. During this time her half sister Rosemary was born, 20 years her junior. Sadly Millie also developed cancer and died when Rosemary was 2 years old. Betty, the oldest sibling then cared for Rosemary.

We remember Rosemary Snodgrass who died at 74 last month. Mum attended Rosemary’s funeral on her last outing. This event was a very sad time for Mum during the last month of her life.

On a happier note, in her late teens, Joyce had a friend called Joy Hayman who had a very tall, handsome older brother, Theo. Theo, Joy and their siblings had grown up in China where their parents were missionaries. They lived with Auntie Bess Matheson, their mother’s sister, at Rockdale with younger brother David, who is here today. During the war, following time in the army, Theo had gone to train at Moore College to be an army chaplain, but the war finished, so he completed his training to become a clergyman. The rule was that they could not become engaged until after his final exams, so the ring sat in a match box in his room for quite some time. They married at St Philips, York Street on 2nd Nov, 1946, a marriage in which they did many extraordinary things in their ministry together for the next 62 years.

 Joyce the pioneer.

After Theo had a short time as curate in charge of East Willoughby and Castlecrag, they set off to work with BCA in South Australia, driving from Sydney to Streaky Bay, a distance of almost 2000kms, in a little Morris with a canvas hood. Mum was 23 years old. At 25 Mum went into labour with her first baby, 3 weeks early, on exactly 70 years ago today. Anne Cambrell ( who is here today)’s dad drove Joyce and Theo the 110 kms through the sand hills during the night to the BCA hospital at Ceduna. Mum took a torch and potty! I was born safely the next morning, at the hospital, and to save you doing the maths, that makes tomorrow my big 70!

They later moved to Ceduna and for 7 years Theo had a parish as large as the U.K., 1300 kms long across the Nullarbor Plain. During this time John and David were born.

 I remember this as a hard time for Mum, 2000 kms from her family. The stipend was low, so her skills were well used. Her life included the wood stove, extreme heat, dust, no air conditioning, dirt roads, the snake in the kitchen, the cow’s horn through the bedroom wall, the once a week bath with the only hot water coming from the chip heater (we did have a daily wash with a bowl of water), plucking their own chooks to eat chicken, a smelly job, and all of this with Theo spending 5 weeks away at a time, visiting and ministering to the work gangs on the many sidings across the East West Railway and at the BCA hospitals at Cook and Rawlinna. He also visited the British servicemen at the infamous Maralinga base. Mum and I developed a special bond as even though I was very young, I was her companion during these lonely times.

Mum did make friends with the sisters at the Ceduna BCA Hospital and other BCA staff. She would sit with her friend Mollie, the commercial fisherman’s wife, whose husband was often away at sea, darning sox under the wood and seaweed shelter on the beach while the children played in the water, hopefully the Mums keeping watch for the great white sharks!

Joyce the rector’s wife.

After BCA, they worked in a number of parishes. From the beginning Mum was a very keen member of the Mothers' Union and led many groups, as well as teaching Religious instruction in schools. In Adelaide there was St Matthew's Marryatville, a busy and under their leadership, thriving parish. There were many weddings, often several on a Saturday. Mum loved the frequent social outings of attending these wedding receptions, complete with hat and gloves. Saturday morning was baking day, and Mum specialised in her lemon tarts and chewy oatmeal slice.

During this time Juli was born, and brought great joy to many in the parish. Anne, already mentioned, lived with our family at times.

Tamworth followed, where many homeless travellers lived under the bridge below the large church. Mum had a rule that she would not give money to these frequent callers, but would give food. She then discovered that a previous caller had left a sign under the bridge directing the hungry to go to the rectory and ask for a tomato sandwich!! At this time Joyce also cared for what would later become a very large number of boarders, a nephew and a foster child.

After a break from parish life (more of that later) Dad was asked to go to St Stephen's Willoughby. A friend from those times has said ‘Joyce has been such an incredible witness of her faith and such an example to many women. Together with Theo they both were used in a very special way..as wise and gentle pastors’. One of Mum’s highlights was starting thriving playgroups for the many children, as well as for the Mums.

Joyce OAM recipient.

Between Tamworth and Willoughby, Dad was the Federal Secretary of BCA and Mum found herself back in Sydney without her parish duties for 9 years. However God had plans for that time. She became one of the first female synod representatives for the Sydney Diocese, and later became the first female ‘People ‘s Warden’ at St Aiden’s Longueville.

Joyce became Social Responsibilities Convenor of the M.U. and threw herself into the role with great enthusiasm. She started what is now known as the ‘Courts Program’ which still continues today after over 45 years. Liaising with the justice department, she set up this program, where volunteers would provide  tea and coffee, reading material and a listening ear, covering the somewhat foreboding Children’s court waiting rooms throughout Sydney. Mum continued as a volunteer with this program into her 80s. She also set up the ‘Host Family Scheme’, which cared for new arrivals, many from Vietnam, and some of these ‘new comers’ are still our friends today. Despite all of this, Mum still considered herself to be an ordinary person.

Following on from her Mothers' Union work, on Australia Day 2011, Joyce was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia. The OAM medal was presented to her by The Governor of NSW, Professor Marie Bashir at Government House on 4th May that year for ‘service to the community through the Mothers Union of the Anglican Church’. She was 88 years old. The photo of that wonderful day is on the cover of your Order of Service and the medals are displayed next to her coffin.

Mum loved flowers so please also note her choice of the colour of the flowers both on the coffin and the arrangements, especially the mauve. How she would have loved the purple and mauve tree in bloom outside her unit right now.

Joyce on holidays and fisherwoman.

Throughout our childhood we would set off from Adelaide to our Grandfather’s beach house at Stanwell Park, south of Sydney. There we the children and later the grandchildren would have a wonderful relaxing holiday, presided over by Joyce. This included her running with us along the beach with a stick high in the air, as we escaped from a thunderstorm, and we watching for the tea towel that she placed in the window when lunch was ready. However it was extremely embarrassing for the children and grandchildren when they accompanied Mum on a mission to tell the almost naked young ladies who were sun bathing, that they had forgotten to put on their tops!

Mum loved fishing and I remember on the jetties in the far west of SA, sitting next to Mum as she fished, with John behind us in his stroller, which was tied to a pole. On a holiday at Smokey Bay when we were a bit older, Mum caught so many fish that we were having it 3 x a day. We quickly got sick of this menu so she went to the cold store and swapped fish for soft drinks, a far better arrangement.  Later at Stanwell Park one of the family remembers standing next to her at the water’s edge with the thundering surf and while the rest of the fishermen had all the latest gear, Joyce would catch fish with just a line! She also loved eating fish meals, ginger and anything sweet.

Joyce in retirement, Grandma and Great Grandma

Retirement meant a move to Macquarie fields. This was a time of many locums including Shellharbour, Lord Howe Island, and several in Tasmania, where Mum learnt a new skill of doing her exquisite paintings of flowers, birds and landscapes. They often assisted in the Glenquarie parish. In between there were many great overseas trips.

During the preceding years Di, David Girvan and Romayne became our spouses and the grandchildren started to come, Lara, Lee, Kath, Nic, James, Ben, Bec, Alex and Matt. Later they were to produce the Great Grandchildren, 12 at last count. Grandma loved and encouraged her children and grandchildren in everything that they did. She assured us that she prayed for us all every day. She also loved hearing about the little ones from first steps to high school achievements, so some of her greatgrandchildren wanted to come today.

It is an irony that while I was typing this on Saturday, a photo came through on my phone of our younger granddaughter, with a somewhat toothless grin, holding her new athletics trophy for ‘most improved under 7 yrs’. I paused to think how much great grandma would have loved that. We had a routine that I would ring Mum every Sunday afternoon from Adelaide, between her visiting to give someone a cake or chocolate, posting a card or watering her much loved garden and before the 6pm news. It was all in the timing! When I could eventually get a word in, I would tell Mum about coming family events and she would always say ‘Just a minute while I get my diary’. We knew that she would remember us. Mum was especially supportive to me in times of family crises.

Grandma and Grandpa  moved to Taylor Village Narrabeen, where they assisted with the Sunday services, and then as Dad’s health deteriorated in 2008, he moved to Donald Coburn while Mum moved into Harriman Court, both in the nearby  Nuffield Village. Sadly Dad died on Christmas Day that year.  

For the 10 years since Mum lived in Harriman Court, she became part of a community where she visited others often, giving pastoral care, was generous with her gifts, continued to make marmalade right up to about a year ago, enjoyed the exercise bike in the therapy centre, loved attending all the activities, church services  and meetings and also gave support to Berenice, a long term family friend with a disability until her death. She always had a jar of chocolates on her coffee table and loved playing scrabble by ‘Harriman Court’ rules. When she started to run out of scrabble buddies, she and Juli had a continuous game going on her dining room table, often lasting for weeks.

Mum became seriously ill on 1st Jan this year, which was followed by several falls and the doctors felt that several days would be her last, but she kept bouncing back. From her hospital bed she called these ‘TDJDND’ days – The day Joyce did not die. However the stroke that she had 2 weeks ago was her final illness and so her earthly life ended last week, as she went to be with her Heavenly Father, after ‘an extraordinary life of service’

Finally I would like to thank my siblings who live in Sydney who have cared for Mum so well in her failing years and last illnesses. For Juli who has at times given her love and care almost around the clock and advocated on her behalf, for Jim who assisted Juli, and for John and Di who have visited often, attended appointments and provided probably hundreds of meals. David and I in Adelaide, along with David and Romayne in Moss Vale, have appreciated greatly the fact that she was so well cared for when we were far away. I would like to make a special note of the enormous effort of my 3 siblings and spouses during the last few weeks.

Many of you would have been the recipient of Mum’s cards for birthdays or encouragement. She often included a verse or a prayer such as the following. If you would like to pass on her heritage to others, some of these are on the middle page of your order of service.

A prayer for today

Every day I need you, Lord, but this day especially.

I need some extra strength to face whatever is to be..

This day more than any day I need to feel you near

To fortify my courage and overcome my fear.

By myself I cannot meet the challenge of the hour.

There are times when human creatures need a higher power

-to help them beat what must be borne.

And so , dear Lord, I pray,

Hold on to my trembling hand and be with me today.